SMS app that truly has evolved the concept messaging
Themes, floating window
In app purchases
Evolve SMS is everything you would expect to see in an SMS app. You can type, you can read messages, you can (get this) swipe to the side to see all of your conversations. Mind blowing, I know. But what makes this app so great?It’s so great because is really can do it all.
The Five best things about Evolve SMS
Honestly, there are way too many tiny things that this app can do to explain them all. You would get bored reading it, so here are the five best things that Evolve SMS can do.
1) The first thing I noticed was the theme engine. Not many apps allow you to apply themes, but the ones that do make you feel special. Unfortunately, Evolve SMS makes you pay for theme support, but it’s well worth it because there are countless themes to choose from and you can make you own. Making your own theme takes some work, but its well worth it when you finish. You basically make your own app!
2) Also behind the pay wall (might as well get this over with) are super awesome extra features! You can send GIFs, contacts, and locations over MMS, you can schedule SMS or MMS messages, you can backup all of your conversations to dropbox, and you can even create a password protected private inbox to protect your messages from snooping girlfriends!
3) This is the first time I’ve heard of it, but Evolve SMS also supports desktop messaging via Pushbullet or EndlessJabber, which can really come in handy. Just sign up and download the app, and you can text all you want want touching your phone! Ahh, technology, the great gateway to laziness.
4) Popup Reply! Not many apps have popup reply but the ones that do earn my approval stamp. As the lazy person I am, I appreciate not having to (read this sentence in a slow, monotone voice) press the home button, scroll to my SMS app, press the icon, watch the opening animation. and click on the conversation. Instead the message pops up and you can immediately start typing your response. Having a generic conversation with Marco has never been so easy.
5) The little things. The fact that it allows you to send almost anything over MMS, the fact that you can choose if you want it to split long messages, and you can even make a custom vibration pattern and change the color of the notification icon. There are so many little things that this app can do, and that’s what makes it great.
To be honest I can’t believe this app is in beta. I got it because the icon looked cool, but I kept it because it can do so much! The full multimedia support makes it easy to send anything over SMS, and the Holo UI completes it. Allow me to go on a short tirade over holo UI. “Holo” is the name of Google’s graphical UI guidelines for ICS, Jelly bean and KitKat. An app that uses holo properly will look nice, and will work well. The sad thing is, a lot of developers completely disregard these guidelines and do whatever they want. This makes android as a whole very hard to use because every app is different. But EvolveSMS nails it. You have the action bar with nice convenient actions, you have the slidey side bar which lists all of your conversations, and you have the overflow menu for the settings button and other odd actions that don’t exactly fit on the action bar. The fact that Evolve SMS follows these guidelines so closely makes it a very easy and satisfying app to use.
No feature left behind. If I tried to think of something the developer left out my head would explode.
Honestly, I can't think of any. But Sadorapus probably could because he's better then me and I'm "too big for my britches."