Lots of features and innovation packed into a very small package!
Mini keyboard for maximum screen space with quick switching to a full keyboard for typing that require more accuracy.
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Everybody uses keyboards, but there are so many to choose from. All offer different functions and cater for different needs. Minuum is not just another keyboard. It has got great features to help you make the switch for good.
After downloading Minuum, you are greeted with a interactive tutorial that helps to familiarise some of the features with you. You are taught how to change between the two keyboard sizes (more on this later) and how some of the gestures work. It isn’t very long, but it does introduce to you the basics of the keyboard.
One of the main features of the keyboard is the two available sizes. Theses two sizes are ‘full’ and ‘mini’. The full sized keyboard is very similar to what you get from other keyboard apps, however it does not offer the swipe functionality. This is due to the integration of the gestures that makes it hard to implement, but we are hopeful it gets introduced at some point in the near future. The mini keyboard is what makes this app great. It fits into a small area at the bottom of the screen that gives you more screen real estate whilst typing. Don’t you hate it when you lose half the screen to the keyboard? I know I do. Typing on this keyboard size takes some time to get used to, however once you do it is a breeze and is just as fast as the normal keyboard.
The mini keyboard is essentially a full QWERTY keyboard (keyboard style can be customised in the settings) that fits into one row. You press as near to the letter you need and Minuum does the rest. It combines the letters and predicts the word you want. If you can’t quite get to the letter you want, you can hold near the letter and they pop out so you can be more precise. Gestures play a big part with the mini keyboard, as you can swipe left for a space and swipe left to delete words. In the options you can remove the space bar from the mini keyboard and use the gestures as a replacement. Having more screen real estate is a huge bonus.
Autocorrection is not perfect on this keyboard, but if you are close it will type what you want. In the full sized keyboard there is a slider that lets you control ‘Sloppy Typing’. When ‘Sloppy Typing’ is turned off, the keyboard does not correct what you are typing. Not a feature for everyone as I normally keep this on and it does a great job correcting my sloppy writing.
The settings menu also has some features that differentiates this keyboard from the others. Some features are:
- Customise the size of the keyboard (to the pixel!): need the keyboard a little larger? Customise it to your liking.
- Enable a floating keyboard that you can adjust the size and position of with two fingers: The keyboard becomes slighty transparent and can be placed anywhere in the bottom half of the screen. It is also fully size adjustable. There are also options to place the keyboard to the side, so that one handed typing is easier.
- Customise the theme of the keyboard (no paid extras!): have a favourite colour? Pick it. Want it to change depending on the time of day? Choose that option. Easily customisable to your liking.
- Emoji synonyms (essentially predicted emoji): when typing text emojis are predicted depending on the words used. It is not the most accurate feature, however when it does work it saves valuable time.
- Bonus panels such as cursor control, clipboard tools and emoji panel: a swipeable panel at the bottom of the keyboard has extra features that you may require quickly.
- Auto full/micro keyboard: depending on the situation the keyboard automatically changes size. For passwords, the keyboard becomes full sized to make sure you are typing precisely.
Overall this keyboard is a great alternative to the other options available as it is feature packed and works flawlessly. The swipe feature is not for everyone, but we do hope that the feature somehow makes its way into this keyboard. It would make a great addition. Convert now and never look back.